Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Tim Burton and I

    I have only ever seen Tim Burton's latest films: Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (2005), Corpse Bride (2005) and Sweeney Todd: Demon Barber of Fleet Street (2007)but never his earlier work. So in order to decide on the three films I will be studying and get a feel for his style, I must view more of his body of work.

    Today I:
  • Got my Dad to rent out Burton's Beetlejuice (1988), Batman (1989) and Edward Scissorhands (1990) from Video Ezy New Brighton, where he got them out for $6
  • Went to the Central City Library and borrowed The Films of Tim Burton: animating live action in contemperary Hollywood by film scholar, Alison McMahan. Which is a book covering Burton's entire body of work explaining how his films fit into contemporary Hollywood and why McMahan calls his work "pataphysical" ("films that are full of intertextual references and blatant special effects, and that have in many ways abandoned the classical Hollywood narrative style.")

  • Also recorded a documentary on Sky Movies Greats called Johnny Depp: Under His Skin, as I know Depp has collaborated with Burton many times (six to be exact).

No comments:

Post a Comment